There are many ways to drag and drop things around Obsidian to make the experience smoother:
See dragging panes
- You can drag a file, or multiple files from the file explorer.
- You can drag a file from a search result.
- You can drag a file from backlinks or unlinked references.
- You can drag a file from the starred notes.
- You can drag a file from a link inside the note, in preview mode.
- You can drop a file on a pane header to open the file there. Hold
Shifton MacOS) to drop anywhere on the pane.
- You can drop a file on a folder in the file explorer to move the file there.
- You can drop a file into an editor to insert it as a link. The generated link also follows your preferences, such as relative paths, or using markdown links.
- You can drop a file on the starred notes to star it.
Dragging from outside Obsidian
- You can drag any HTML content from the browser into Obsidian to automatically convert them into Markdown
- You can drag and drop any files from your native file explorer to have Obsidian import (make a copy of) those files in your vault's attachment folder and insert them as internal links. Hold
file:///absolute links to those files instead of importing a copy.
Dropping files outside Obsidian
- This will create an
obsidian://URL in the external application for the Obsidian note that you dragged.